Is Moss Toxic to Cats?

If you are a cat owner and have a curious furry friend roaming around the house, it’s quite common that they might end up eating one thing or another. With all the lovely greenery and plants sitting around, it can be very tempting to stray cats.

Is Moss Toxic to Cats?

It depends. Some moss is toxic to cats. Moss from the genus Homalothecium is toxic to cats, and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and other symptoms of gastrointestinal distress.

Grab the Puuurrr-fect Planner to keep track of your cat’s health and well-being ON SALE NOW!

is moss toxic to cats?

However, there are several types of moss that are only mildly toxic or not toxic at all! These include:

1)Sphagnum Moss (Sphagnum spp.): Sphagnum moss is a common type of moss that grows in a variety of places around the world. It’s typically non-toxic to cats, but a small number of felines may be allergic to it.

2)Clubmoss (Lycopodium spp.): There are over 1,000 species of clubmosses, which grow in most parts of the world. Some are mildly toxic to cats if ingested in high amounts; however, they’re not commonly eaten by domestic felines.

3) Cushion Moss (Leucobryum glaucum): This common garden moss is typically non-toxic to cats.

Read also: How Often Do Cats Get Sick?

Is Moss Water Safe for Cats

Yes, moss water is safe for cats.

Moss water has recently become a hot topic. While more and more people are using it, more people are concerned about the safety of moss water for cats.

Is it healthy? And if so, how exactly should you go about giving it to your feline?

Moss water is a mixture of soil and water that contains moss and other plants. The main ingredient of moss water is living matter, which makes the liquid rich with nutrients and vitamins.

Moss water is an excellent source of vitamin C, which is why it’s becoming increasingly popular as a health drink.

The biggest concern with moss water is that it contains a naturally occurring compound called rosin, which can cause stomach problems in cats if they ingest too much of it.

 However, this is unlikely to happen in the typical domestic setting where your cat will be drinking moss water from a small dish rather than the entire body of water itself.

 If your cat does consume an excess amount (more than one cup per day), then he/she should be fine after about 24 hours without any ill effect.

One thing you may want to consider is whether or not mosses in your area produce toxins that could harm your cat.

Toxins are chemicals produced by plants that are harmful when ingested by animals (or humans).

For example, there are some types of algae that produce toxins that have been linked to brain damage in humans as well as death in animals such as dogs and livestock.

Is Garden Moss Poisonous to Cats?

The short answer is no: Garden moss is not poisonous to cats. But that doesn’t mean it’s completely safe, either.

When we’re talking about moss, there are two types:

Lichen (which is made up of algae and fungi) and Moss (which is made up of just algae).

In both cases, the algae (or green substance) is harmful to cats, but the fungi (or fungus) are more poisonous than the algae.

What does this mean for your cat?

Well, it means that if you have a lichen garden or if you’re growing lichen in your yard as part of a pond or even just as part of your landscaping, then yes: your cat could get sick if they eat it.

 In fact, it may even be fatal for them. The good news? If you keep your cat inside, and you don’t have any lichen in or around your home or yard, then there’s nothing to worry about.

Also read: Can Cats Go 12 Hours Without Food?

Is sphagnum moss toxic to cats?

In short: no, sphagnum moss is not toxic to cats. It’s likely even safe for them to eat in small quantities, so there’s no need to worry about them getting into it.

That said, there are a lot of different types of mosses and lichens, and it’s best to make sure you know exactly what you’re dealing with before introducing cats or children into the mix.

Is Scotch Moss Toxic to Cats?

No, scotch moss is not toxic to cats. It may even be good for them!

Scotch moss has a high concentration of carotene and can help prevent disease in your cat, which is definitely a good thing.

However, it’s important to make sure that your cat doesn’t eat too much scotch moss as it can make them gassy or even throw up.

Is Dried Spanish Moss Toxic To Cats?

The short answer is no. Cats are finicky creatures, and it’s important to always make sure that your furry friends don’t get into any toxic substances.

Luckily, dried Spanish moss is not toxic to cats. It’s actually a great cat toy! You can hang it in the window, or put some around the house for them to play with.

You can also use it in a cat tree; it’s lightweight and fun for them to play with!

But remember: just because dried Spanish moss isn’t toxic for your cats, doesn’t mean you should let them eat it.

If they eat too much of it, they might throw up or have diarrhea. That’s why it’s always a good idea to have a vet on speed dial!

What Kind of Moss Is Safe for Cats?

There are a few different kinds of moss that are safe for cats to be around. These include:

1. Sheet moss

2. Reindeer moss

3. Irish moss

Some mosses can cause skin irritation, so if your cat has sensitive skin, you’ll want to avoid those.

Mosses that are usually not great for cats include Spanish moss and clubmoss, which is also known as stagshorn fern or ground pine.

Both of these types of moss have been known to cause respiratory irritation in people and animals alike.


To conclude, we hope that we have addressed your question as well as answered whether moss is poisonous to cats.

 As you can see from our highly detailed and comprehensive guide, it is possible for a cat to be poisoned by this lovely plant, but it is a very rare occurrence.

 Furthermore, if your cat does ingest moss, pay attention to its behavior in order to act accordingly. If you notice any neurological signs, take your kitty to the vet right away.






Grab the Puuurrr-fect Planner to keep track of your cat’s health and well-being ON SALE NOW!